To: “The Stanford Wives”
Date: Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:35 PM
Subject: The Stanford Wives
Here is the phone list I promised from last Friday’s session at the Stanford Career Centre. Please let me know in person on Friday or reply just to me if I made a mistake typing in your information and I will correct it and re-distribute the list.
As we are all relatively new to the area, keeping in touch is a lovely way to make new friends. Therefore, I am borrowing an idea from my husband’s biomedical engineering friends in Canada to help us stay connected: “The Stanford Wives” never-ending email.
The rules are simple:
- You write an email filled with interesting things about your day or week as well as advice or questions and then…
- You use this email or a previous “The Stanford Wives” email to reply-to-all your message.
In this fashion everyone gets lots of email which everyone secretly likes… and these emails are interesting rather than the usual spam. You can set up a “The Stanford Wives” filter if you want to save the messages for later. As well, it allows you to stay in touch with friends no matter where in the world they are – very important as we are all in love with men whose careers will take us far from here.
Of course being part of “The Stanford Wives” is strictly voluntary and you may bow out whenever you please… though joining and re-joining can be tough… (people have a hard time remembering which email to reply-to-all to).
At this Friday’s Career Centre seminar, I will pass the phone list around again in case there are other ladies who want to be a part of this.
In the meantime, can anyone recommend a good place to get a haircut? In December, I sent my husband to a barber in San Francisco I found on yelp.com and had to trim off bits of his hair after we got home because the barber didn’t do a very good job. I’ve been trimming my own bangs, but would really like to get a nice haircut soon!
For those of you who are unfamiliar with the custom of Valentine’s Day, February 14 is a day for lovers to spend time together. It’s a perfect day for your husband to spend with you as opposed to working in the lab or studying at school!
See you Friday!
UPDATE: I’m living in LA now, as my husband’s boss moved the lab and us to USC in Los Angeles in August 2009. I’ve been hanging out my bedroom window this morning, watching a crew film “24” on my street. Yes, I can see Kiefer Sutherland / Jack Bauer chasing “criminals” down my street!
Meeting the Stanford Wives made life in the Bay Area an absolute joy and I’m so happy we made so many close friendships. As I blog, I’m “chatting” on gmail with a Chilean Stanford Wife who’s reading in the library before meeting her husband for lunch in the Nexus Cafeteria at Stanford.
From the initial email I sent in February 2009, I can offer three tips for February 2010:
Tips & Tricks
- When you meet someone new, exchange email addresses and phone numbers right away! You never know when you’ll met your new best friend!
- Word of mouth is best, but when you haven’t met anyone yet, www.yelp.com is a good resource for finding a new hair stylist, restaurant, optometrist, etc. Melanie at Legar Salon in Palo Alto is a terrific stylist, by the way! She cut my hair several times before I moved to LA. Now I need to find a stylist in LA – any suggestions, dear reader?
- Book a date with your partner for Valentine’s Day is on February 14!
Helsa, blogging from Downtown LA